1. When and why did you get involved with 88.1FM?
I moved to the area in December 1990. It didn’t take long to discover the best radio station in St. Cloud. I was a donor and did some volunteering but I actually started as a deejay in the fall of 2006 because my 11 year old son wanted to be a deejay. We cohosted the Root Cellar until the summer of 2007. Then he got his own show (which he did every summer until he graduated from high school). He left the Root Cellar to me.
2. What show(s) do you currently host on KVSC?
Root Cellar (every other Sunday).
3. Please list some of the artists and musicians that you consider a must play on your show(s).
Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Lindi Ortega, Bob Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, Ryan Adams, Kathleen Edwards, Justin Townes Earle, Kasey Chambers, The Jayhawks, Rosanne Cash, Jason Isbell, Emmylou Harris, Wilco, Julie Miller, Son Volt, Old 97s, Drive-by Truckers, Trampled by Turtles, Gear Daddies, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, and a lot of local artists!
4. What music do you listen to when you’re not tuned into KVSC?
Oh my. I don’t listen to much rap, electronica, or classical. Everything else is fair game. But I mostly focus on new roots rock and Americana as well as music by artists that I will be seeing in concert soon (I go to a lot of concerts).
5. What is the most embarrassing (perhaps even shameful) music phase you have gone through?
Got none. It was all just stepping stones into new and different styles.
6. What are your hobbies and/ or interests?
Music, swimming, the law, downhill skiing, kayaking, walking, volunteering for a good cause.
7. When you are not at work or KVSC where can you most likely be found?
You never know where I might turn up. Otherwise, let’s go with Cedar Lake, Wright County, MN.
8. What’s the most challenging part of being a radio DJ?
9. What would you like to be doing in five years?
See #6. Maybe teaching college or graduate students. Maybe take on a Diversions show.