Oct 12, 2019

Men’s Hockey Turns Major Against Into A Rally

By Andrew Erickson / @CarvellMedia / Photo: SCSU Athletics / sports@kvsc.org

It didn’t look good for Huskies faithful 26 seconds into the third period when Bemidji State’s Adam Brady scored the Beavers fourth straight goal, and his second, taking a commanding 4-0 lead over the Huskies.

The Huskies woke up a bit as the Beavers sagged off their otherwise suffocating defense that had stymied their opponent to that point and that when junior Kevin Fitzgerald netted his first of the season 4:52 into the third to step the Huskies in the first direction.

However, the nail certainly felt like it went in the coffin when junior forward Easton Brodzinski received a checking from behind call and a game misconduct, but that was apparently the spark the Huskies were looking for.

The five-minute major started and it took all of 12 second for senior Nick Poehling to streak down the ice and sauce it across the goaltender’s vision to a trailing Jack Ahcan who buried it from the faceoff dot.

The shorthanded goals would not stop there as three minutes later exactly senior Clark Kuster got his first goal as a Huskies with some amazing hand-eye.

The puck flew up after a save on a Nick P drive to the net and Kuster sat at the top of the crease and batted it right out of the air and into the back of the net, certainly a memorable first goal for the senior defenseman.

At 4-3 at the end of a miserable five-minute power play by the Beavers they had no momentum in a game that was clearly all them for 41 minutes.

The Huskies would complete the comeback when sophomore Sam Hentges deked past a beaver defender and goalie Zach Driscoll for a backhanded goal, his first of the year, and a tie game.

The drama didn’t end here as the Huskies sophomore Nolan Walker was handed a delay of game penalty with :25 second left. The game was pushed into overtime and SCSU would be short handed to start.

Once they killed off the penalty it went back and forth until a scrum in front of the Beavers net which resulted in punches being thrown by Nick and Jack Poehling. Tommy Muck would be put in the box for the beavers as well, but they would still get a PP with 25 second left in OT.

The Beavers won the initial draw back to Tyler Vold, who back peddled and teed up a bomb that made its way through traffic and into the net with about 26 seconds left. That goal was immediately waived off by the ref on the goal line.

Here is where it got weird, the refs went to review the call on the ice but were unable to get the video to pull up.

They sat in the box waiting for it to work for about six minutes before the head ref decided they couldn’t hold the game up any longer and they would stick with the call on the ice. Obviously, the rink erupted in boos aimed at the official for the call.

The game would end in a tie per NCAA rules as those final seconds ticked off the clock with no tally’s and WCHA rules stating the game would not continue after the initial OT period.

Shots ended 33-30 and faceoff ended 35-26, both in favor of BSU.

The second game of the series will be played Saturday October, 12 at 6:07 p.m. from the Sanford Center and Nick Maxon and Andrew Erickson will bring you the call on 88.1 KVSC.

Thank You Underwriters