- When and why did you get involved with 88.1FM?
Officially: Spring of 2012. Unofficially, when I was about 12 years old and Jo McMullen recruited my brother and me to record a promo about creamed corn.
- What show(s) do you currently host on KVSC?
Depending on the week, either Wednesday Diversions where I take a bunch of stuff from different genres, throw it on the floor, and rearrange it in random order. The other week, I host Granite City Rock Café part 2 on Saturday night where I play long jams and horrible noise. I have heard other people may listen.
- Please list some of the artists and musicians that you consider a must play on your show(s).
Not necessarily must plays on every show, but a revolving group of reoccurring artists of which probably at least one on the list will show up in every show I play: Melvins, David Bowie, T. Rex, Roxy Music, Built to Spill, Butthole Surfers, the Jesus Lizard, Dinosaur Jr, Tom Waits, and Ween.
- What music do you listen to when you’re not tuned into KVSC?
By the time I have done the typing to answer this question, the answer has changed.
- What is the most embarrassing (perhaps even shameful) music phase you have gone through?
I used to think I could play the blues. I sounded like a white Eric Clapton.
- What are your hobbies and/ or interests?
Other than the obvious music-related ones, reading non-fiction, drawing even though I suck at it, playing guitar even though I suck at it, singing karaoke even though I suck at it, wandering through nature with the dogs and singing very loud because no one can hear how badly I suck at singing, biking long distances, creative writing in various genres, making tacky arts and crafts projects, creating deliberately unlistenable music on my laptop, and filling out “about me” profile questions in ways that make me seem more interesting than I actually am.
- When you are not at work or KVSC where can you most likely be found?
On my bike, outside doing five different yardwork or crafts projects at once, drinking coffee with one person or another or myself, or if it is too cold outside I will be in front of my laptop downloading music and researching to make playlists for an upcoming show.
- What’s the most challenging part of being a radio DJ?
Having to decide what not to play because I picked out more music than I can fit into the timeframe.
- What would you like to be doing in five years?
Pondering my latest existential crisis.